Experiencing dry eye is one of the most common reasons a person makes an optometry appointment. Dry eye can be a condition that occurs only once, or it can become a chronic condition. Typical symptoms include itchy, red eyes and your eyes may sting. The condition is usually the result of your eyes not producing enough tears or the tears evaporate too quickly. Typically, treatment involves using an eye drop specifically intended for dry eyes. Our eye doctors at Eye Health Group in Springfield Township can help with dry eyes. The most common causes of dry eye include the following:
1. Aging - As you pass the age of 50, your body produces fewer tears and this can create a condition of chronic dry eyes. When age is the cause of dry eye symptoms, you will likely need to use lubricating eye drops regularly to relieve the symptoms.
2. Medications - Some medications, such as antihistamines can cause a reduction of mucus creation in the body. Eye drops can reduce the symptoms. You may need to talk to your general practitioner about the possibility of substituting another medication.
3. Autoimmune Disorders - Many autoimmune disorders see the body attacking various natural processes. Sjogren's Syndrome is especially notorious for attacking tear glands. Treatment normally involves the regular use of lubricating eye drops.
4. Computer Use - Many hours spent staring at a computer screen, often without blinking normally, can cause your eyes to become dry. This can also cause tension headaches that affect the eyes. This is one cause that is easily prevented. Take a break from the screen every twenty minutes or so and rest your eyes. Remember to blink normally and try to get away from the computer as often as possible.
5. Weather - This may seem surprising to many. Weather, especially cold weather with high winds, can dry out your eyes. When this occurs, your eyes can become irritated and dry. It is important, especially if you are outside in the wind, to wear eye protection.
Contact Eye Health Group in Springfield Township, NJ
As one of the foremost optometry offices in Springfield Township, Eye Health Group invites you to contact us with your dry eye concerns or any other eye health issue. Call us today at (973) 376-7900 to schedule an appointment with one of our optometrists.